Friday, September 12, 2014

Notes.

1.
Whenever I am attending any "majlis ilmu" - regardless whether it is religious, business seminars or a discussion with business partners, one thing for sure I would always have my notebook with me.
The actual notebook - paper based - and a bastion of my writing instrument (pen, pencils and all).

Call me oldskool I don't mind at all - because when most of you were just about to get your first smartfone, I have done many years using the applications for mobile computing devices since Palm Os monochrome, PSION mobile devices, up to Compaq's iPAQ last series - paper notebooks are the best (for me at least!)...then only the world was invaded by (notso)Smartfones.

The case in hand is not about the devices BUT the note you are taking.

2.
Some people don't bother to take note because the handouts are there (or the slides for that matter).

Well, actually the note is not about what is being presented but what you understand and ideas that you may have with that particular page or chart. You may have a good photographic memory but I don't think everybody would be able to recall everything perfectly in an hour of presentation, especially a sudden burst of idea.

On the other hand, you may have your own way to understand the presentation more effectively thus why you may want to jot a note or sketch as you listen to the presenter.

3.
It is up to you whether you want to ardently take notes or just listen to a presentation. At the end of the day, the one that should benefit from the notes would be your own self...especially if it is an idea that came up to you of a sudden.

4.
It helps to have a dedicated note book.
If you are sketching on a piece of paper you got from the person next to you - ALL THE TIME - that shows you are not so serious about taking notes.

NO, I am not saying it is not right...it is all up to you but it helps to be organized and neat.

No comments: