Monday, August 15, 2005

We used to depend on these...


Rubber seeds

The biji getah housing....top one dah released all the seeds (floating on the stream below).

My family was brought up with these...all of my grandies were rubber tappers, rice planters and did odd jobs as orang kampung. I was 'programmed' by them (and parents...who also 'programmed' us not to just be educators) not to be like them when I was merely starting school. They did not allow me to help them in their daily 'operations' at all when I was a kid!

.....but that did not stop me from appreciating this wonderful plant, then and now. I enjoyed the times watching my elder family members coming back from the kebun, processing the susu getah turning it into sheets of rubber....I'd be happy to help them (out of curiosity laaa especially, still budak masa tu!) but as I mentioned above...I was not allowed to.

Note: I should find back those macines they used and take pix....rasanya still ada kat kampung tu....

Thank you rubber trees....you'll always be a part of our family's history....

No comments: