Monday, July 04, 2005

The Lumix


The Lumix

Panasonic Lumix FZ10-K

The first camera that I ever used was a Kodak Disc that came free with a Yamaha Electone Organ my parents bought for me. (Yeah I took music lessons when I was young, did quite well actually considering I am the only Malay dude who gets to represent the district up to state level competition). As far as I can recall, the Disc was quite "fashionable" at that time cuz while others lug the ordinary bulky point & shoot camera, the Disc is rather small and squarish, pretty much like some Sony models available nowadays, only bigger and less techy-er of course!

Then, after it got more and more difficult to get the film disc, our parents decided its time to get a decent camera. It was and Olympus and it served us well, until Angah lost it if I am not mistaken and replaced it with another one (by now I could not recall what camera it was).

Those were the early exposure to photography for me.

My first ever experience with a SLR was when Bawal let me use his Konica (if my memory serves me well lah). Bawal is quite a good photog, very creative, in fact I can say he was really advanced since his artworks as I can still recall, do seem still rather amazing even since we have the Adobe and other softies.

A real exposure on SLR and photog techniques came about when I was in my one year matriculation. To' Kent taught me a lot. I did quite well especially during one project trip into some remote part of Cameron Highlands. Kent had to be sent out due to dengue fever he caught and being the only photographer he decided to leave all his stuff to me and it was my responsibility to produce good result for JHEOA archive...and take care of the expensive Yashica and lenses Kent bought with his own money!

I wish I was allowed to have a copy of the whole images I captured.

Moving on....I never actually bought a camera until I decided to get a decent 2MP Nikon point & shoot for my wifey as her birthday present - it was about time too since Alisya has just arrived! Before that Nikon, I had a Samsung film with superb zoom and very robust. It costs (at that time) RM800++ but I got it free from a lucky draw on PEMSB family day. Lucky me!

The Samsung served us well, till I bought a Nikon Coolpix P&S 2megapix for wifey. The Samsung is now with my parents, still going strong.

So, when I finally decide to get a digicam for myself, I did the usual “ritual” of searching, analyzing, forums joining etc…so that I will get the correct choice within my limited budget.

To cut it short, after about 3 months of the “ritual” I got myself a Panasonic Lumix FZ-10K, a black one, which is rare in this part of the world (yes, the black ones are available but not easy to get due to the decision to market the black ones to more cooler climate regions).

The FZ-10K is always with me on every trip I go…so far it’s the best digicam for me. Cud have bought a DSLR but I am still a novice in digicam/photog…..and I am happy with the Leica lense of the Lumix!

No comments: