Sunday, June 19, 2005

Karate Kid - a disgrace to the art of Karate


NOPE!! NO SCORE!
That's a WTF Tournament.
No score for the guy in red cuz he hit the back of the opponent.
That's either a turning kick or a chop kick he executed...maybe a series of kicks depending on his skills and fitness!
The blue guy could score a solid point if he got the balance, using either a rising-front to the body or stamping kick to the mid of the vest which will definitely bring the red guy down...if he is an adventurous daredevil, he would go for elbow block to the knee of the red guy and a turning kick to the head - executed in one movement...OR half step reverse stance from current position followed by left reverse back kick...that one will bring the red down and gasping for air!
...been there, done that.....got metal in my face for that matter!

Karate Kid Ver5.0 SP2
If you were teenagers in the 1980's, you'd definitely have seen the Karate Kid movies. The Sifu (Mr. Miyagi) is cool. Very. They have re-runs and re-re-re-runs of the Karate Kids series nowadays in Astro AXN so if you have never seen it, chances are you will be seeing it, soon.

I came from kampung (thus kampungpath!) and the only Karate Kid I have ever seen was those shown on TV. Never seen it in the cinema. If you know me, you may also know that I have a couple of martial arts up my sleeve....not much, just a couple, but not Karate....well yeah I do know some simple "kata" moves and "kumite" techniques (thanx to the friends of the martial arts council in IIU days!) but I have never been trained as a Karateka, but nevertheless, I love karate. I love other martial arts too.

.....and I have always hated the so called "hero" of these Karate Kid series!

Don't know if I got it right but I think its Ralf Machio (?)

I am not a perfect martial artist (especially in my current shape!) but even when I was still a junior martial artist in high school, I can say that this Ralf guy is really not the average martial artist you'd expect.

His stances, totally OUT! No no no...let's not go there first cuz stances aren't really that easy to do....just look at his hands when he's on the "on-guard" position....whether its single hand-knife guarding block, double hand-knives guarding block or just the basic guarding block....the Karate Kid?s hands positions are totally out, totally.

Check his posture, most of the time (if not all of the time) he'd be leaning forward but not on the stance that would support the centre of gravity to make it difficult for the opponent to bring him down. Some stances and patterns (be it kata/poomse/taegeuk/koryo etc.) there are positions that requires the person to lean forward, but in real tournaments or street fight, its really not advisable....this Karate Kid guy, he got no arts at all...if its supposed to a forward stance, it just does not show....he's just leaning because he got no balance!

A martial artist is trained to exhale when executing punches / kicks and for some martial arts, they are supposed to shout - firm shout. This guy is shouting like a faggot looking for his (her?!) pink hair-brush that got lost in his (her?!) pink colored bedroom.

Oh ya! That famous "crane" stance....he's too wobbly and again he was leaning forward.....and the stupid opponent was so stupid to just come storming in - a true martial artist would not do that!

And to top it all....his rudeness to the master....what kind of martial artist would be so rude to the master? Only one kind - a NON-Martial artist!

Conclusion - the wimpster Ralf is a disgrace to Karatekas...even my Karatekas friends during my schooldays admits that.

....but it's just a movie anyways...but still, if you ask me, my all time favorite movie would be Best of The Best....now that's how a real martial artists fights....

(Note: Karatekas, my due respect but I am just writing based on my very limited knowledge in martial arts. Ralf's fan....well I am sorry but, wake up & go to the nearest dojo to see real martial artist do their stances & moves!)



Displayed in our living room, announcing our years of resignation!
1) My WTF Black Belt
2) My favorite weapon - Nunchaku (with F1 full access card attached)
3) My wife's last ever tournament medal - a bronze.

No comments: