Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I got myself a Dinosour

Daddy's new toy

I just cannot resist it. Couple of years back I helped Loribalak to get this toy and he was really hooked with the Netbook. At that time its kinda easy to get - especially the MNetbook at around Rm1000, refurbished or used. Then it became lesser and lesser and harder to get. If you are lucky you can get a really used one at Rm700, at least.

Its the original PSION Netbook, which runs on EPOC R5 platform. Definitely not a new genaration mobile computing device but considered as a rather Dinosour age machine.

What can it do? To keep it simple - almost anything any average Joe Jambul could do with a laptop...and perhaps maybe more. Words, Sheets, Database, Proggies, PIM, Browsing, Wi-Fi.....oh yeah baby it can Wi-Fi.

Though I am not alien to the Symbian OS but EPOC R5 is new to me, I have used the MC218 (testing purposes) for almost a year and I am still using the P900. I kinda love the Symbian Os - stable, simple, not resource hungry and it get things done as long as you are willing to learn how it works and know you want to do with it.

The MC218 was fun and kinda nostalgic....I created a simple database to help decide the name of our twins.......

So after years of hearing fellow tech-lover frens talking about their Netbook, this year I dream to get one - either the 3/5 series or the Revo Plus or if lucky, the original Netbook.

After months of failures to find any Netbook nor any worth-buying refurbished/used Symbian based device in this region, I was dumbfounded when I saw this one while browsing through i-symbian! Can't believe that a dude posted this Netbook for sale - so apa lagi, terus CARGAS!!!! PM-ed the dude asking about the specs, freebies, conditions, warranties, mileage etc etc etc...and COD the thing after checking its condition, this morning. I'd say I got a very good deal - everything in the box (not litereally but its the real original Box!) and loads of freebies....plus Prancing Horse sticker on the Netbook...which I took of and gave to Che Lie!

Done reading the User Manual, next up is to explore 3rd parties must-have "swiss-knife" proggies to make it fully utilized.....am not gonna rush this learning cuz if I rush it then I'd be looking for other alternative mobile platform to learn and try.....will have to fully utilize this in every possible angle.....none of the machines I bought were under utililized....not cuz I just wanna brag, nor cuz I am a real hyper techie geek...but simply cuz I don't fart RM!

Nak PowerBook tak mampu, so got a NetBook is better lah!

- like i-symbian Senors would say......If it ain't Symbian FIX IT!!
Keep It Symbian, Stewpeeed!

My first entry in the Netbook:
Finally I am an owner of a Psion Netbook: my first entry
I have been hunting for this baby high and low since last year. Its a real
shock when suddenly there is one available on i-symbian .com yesterday, I was
not really prepared to purchase and the budget is actually not in presence -
balik kampung recently and used it up, but it was a really great holiday for
us!!
Anyways, I have to grit my teeth and dump RM880 for this baby, I am
confident it is going to be a very good and reliable work horse. (Darn!
There's a prancing horsy on it already!)
So, begins my days with a so called "Dinosaur Age" Psion based OS that still
rules the world - well at least for those techies or wannabee-techies who
really knows what they want their devices to do. It is nothing fancy, not
"can do everything" kinda thing but it just gets things done - the kinda
things that you actually need to do with your state-of-the-art expensive
machines.

No comments: